446th Bombardment Group at Bungay
Members of the 446th Bomb Group gave a set of wooden gates to St Mary's Church, Flixton, before they left in 1945.
A new set of gates was dedicated in 1987, during a Second Air Division reunion.
A Roll of Honor was also placed in the church, which stood very close to the airfield, as a memorial to the men who lost their lives flying from Flixton.
A wooden seat with a plaque dedicated to the 446th is situated in the church porch.
A black granite memorial stone was erected in a small garden of remembrance in September 2003.
The stone, pictured below, is in the shape of a B24 Liberator tail with 466th BG badges, details of operations and personnel.
The garden also has a seat and information board supplied by Suffolk County Council.
It is on the left-hand side of the road going left (uphill) from St Mary's Church.
It is on land donated by the farmer close to the former HQ buildings, technical site and end of the main runway.
On Memorial Day each year a wreath is placed at the Cambridge American Cemetery by a representative from the Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum.
This in memory of servicemen from this group who were killed and missing in action during hostilities.
Funds provided by 446th Bomb Group Association ensure the continuance of this act of remembrance.