56th Fighter Group at Boxted
Bibliography and website
There are several good histories of the 56th Fighter Group available for use in the Second Air Division Memorial Library.
Among those histories are:
- Larry Davis: 56th Fighter Group
- Roger A Freeman: 56th Fighter Group
- William N Hess: Zemke’s Wolf Pack: the 56th Fighter Group in World War II
- David R McLaren: Beware the Thunderbolt! The 56th Fighter Group in World War II
- Hubert Zemke: Zemke’s Wolf Pack: the story of Hub Zemke and the 56th Fighter Group in the skies over Europe
For more on the history of the airfield, see:
- Martin Bowman: Bomber Bases of WW2: 2nd Air Division 8th Air Force USAAF 1942-45
- Michael Bowyer: Action Stations Revisited: No 1 Eastern England
- Ken Delve: The Military Airfields of Britain: East Anglia (Norfolk and Suffolk)
- Roger Freeman: Airfields of the Eighth Then and Now
For more about the history of the 56th Fighter Group, see its website.